We once knew a man… This man baptized my son. On a dark night of violence, he came and snatched my two little boys while a knife fight was going on in my home… he was quick with a smile and a handshake, he was calm, caring, a humble man of God, quick with a song, and the fastest person to pull you into a genuine hug. And Christmas Eve, he passed away…
My battles in my life, and with my faith distanced me from this man in the end, much to my regret… but his touch on my life will not be forgotten. When I first started attending his little church, I would sit quietly, in the back, head down, eyes down, fearful and torn, feeling I didn‘t belong in such a holy place. I was a lost and fallen away Christian. I had to many sins to deserve to be there… and his words would heal and comfort me… I remember several of my first few visits finding myself in tears because I felt he was speaking directly to me…
A story he told often… And one that touched me and always made me think… I may not get it right verbatim, but I know what he was trying to say to me, and this story sticks with me, even today…
“There was an elderly man that attended church for most of his life. Then one Sunday he didn’t come. No one really thought much of it at first… after several Sundays had passed and the man still hadn’t come, the Preacher decided it was time to go and talk with the elderly man…
The preacher came in to see the man sitting in front of a dying fire. The heat of the embers warming the room, glowing red in the fireplace.
“I know why you’re here, Preacher.” said the man before he could speak. “I’m just tired of it all. If I don’t want to go to church anymore and I shouldn’t have to.” The Preacher sat down next to the man in front of the fire, as the man continued the many reasons why he didn’t need church…
After a long silence, the Preacher, who still hadn’t spoken, took the fireplace poker and started to stir the embers… pretty soon, he pulled a large glowing red on fire ember out of the pile… he placed the ember on the edge of the cold stones of the fireplace.
As the two men sat there, in silence, they watched the ember… slowly fade, growing cold and dying out…
With a tear in the old man’s eye, he said. “I hear you Preacher. I’ll be there next Sunday.”
Rest in Peace Terry Key. You were an amazing man of faith in this life. Your work here was done, your rewards wait. You’ll see the peace and comfort in the face of God and welcome us who follow after you, because of your teaching, and sharing of faith. I know my family will miss you, but I cant be sad that your gone, because I know you in the one place you were meant to be in…
No comments:
Post a Comment