Monday, November 15, 2010

God DOES give us more than we can handle, EVERYDAY.

One of the things people tell me during this trial, this challenge of mine is “Don’t worry, God wont give you more than you can handle.” I’ve held onto and chanted this mantra to myself until the breaking point and past. Then one day a very good non-religious friend told me no where does it say that in the bible. Yeah, right, I thought. It’s there somewhere. But then another very devote Christian friend said the same thing a few days later!! NO! please!! This is what’s been getting me through!! So, I started digging. I wanted so badly to prove them wrong. I looked, and searched. And cross referenced. And studied. And guess what. It’s JUNK!! I know people mean well when they say this, but I hate to tell them but no where in the bible does it say that!! It’s an empty sentiment that gives you empty comfort!!

*a gasp of shock from the crowd!* Yep. I’m a Christian, albeit a struggling one. Yep, I do believe. I just believe that you should believe what the bible says, not what people want to assume…

“But what about… ?” what about what? The one verse in the bible that says God wont give you more than you can handle?? Trust me, it’s not there, I’ve spent hours and hours looking… Especially when I was and AM at my lowest point in life, ever. I kept letting myself believe that empty foolish sentiment. I finally convinced myself, it’s not there. This very “saying” was mentioned again, in Sunday school yesterday. That’s what’s prompted this blog. These amazing men and women of faith, these Christians I look up to, (and still do) were talking about this very thing. I actually had an anxiety attack sitting right there… (mild, and well controlled.) but still… I wanted to say something so bad, but didn’t have it straight in my brain right then, but I do now. I didn’t want to pop off and start a holy war, unarmed. I knew in my heart, they were wrong. Well meaning, misguided, but wrong… I’ve been thinking about since yesterday, and I welcome anyone to prove me wrong. I’m begging. Please. Because it would lessen the pain and struggle I’ve been going through…

Okay… so you say, what about this one??

1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV) "No temptation has seized you except what is
common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted
beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide
a way out so that you can stand up under it."


Why is this always the first, (and only) verse of proof they have?? This is a very fine verse, and actually if you google it, it comes up as proof that God wont give you more than you can bear. BUT… we’re ignoring the most important word in that whole verse. Temptation. This verse isn’t talking about strife, struggle or what to do when life is to hard to want to go on. It’s talking about temptation. That’s it. That’s all. Doing right by the Lord, and walking away from sin. God will not TEMPT us more than we can bear. He even gives us escape routes when we face temptation! That’s all well and good, but I’m not facing temptation at the moment. I’m facing doubt. Lack of faith. Pain. Depression. Anxiety. Stress. Worry. I’m to the point, I cant take anymore and really most days don’t want to go on.

My conclusion is this… (and I can back it up.) God WILL and DOES give us more than we can handle EVERYDAY!

1 Peter 1:6 “In this you greatly rejoice, though now, for a little while, you may have to suffer in all kinds of trials.”

John 16:33 “in this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I will overcome the world”

Whoa. Wait a minute. SUFFER?? TRIALS?? TROUBLE?? What the… I thought God wants me to be happy?? L Those are just two… if you want more, fine. I’ll send them right along…

But wait!!! Is that a glimmer of… ??? Could it be???

Isaiah 40: 29 and 31 “He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might HE increases strength.”
“But those who wait upon the Lord, shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary.”

Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand”

2 Corinthians 12:9 “And he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for MY strength is made perfect in weakness.”

Psalms 34:18 “The lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”

(Want more? I can send those too.)

God wants us to suffer. He wants us challenged. Because only when we can not go another step, when we can not do any more, HIS strength kicks in. When we can no longer stand, he carries us. He gives is HIS strength when we have none left of our own. Only by turning to him in trials and suffering do we become closer to him and he WILL see us through. All you have to do is have faith. All you have to do is believe. Right now that is the hardest thing in my life for me to do. But I’m working on it, and after this blog, I feel I’m so much closer than before.

Psalms 30:5 says, “weeping may endure the night, but joy comes in the morning.”

Every painful struggle, trial and challenge I face, God has a timing for it to end. He has his reasons, and his ways to give me strength and comfort.
So although he does give me more than I can handle, and already has… after this, I feel stronger than ever. I might even begin to feel like I will survive this too. I know I still have my bad days ahead of me, I know I will suffer and feel pain, but the strength and comfort I will get at the end will be worth it and more appreciated because of it.

3 comments:

  1. Your strength will come when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as I have told you before, I am impressed with you. I am impressed that you took the time to research an issue that means so much to you rather than using blind faith on this issue. I am proud to know someone who will say what they believe whether it be the popular road or not. So my response/insight/opinion? Your faith is much stronger than you give it credit for. I think I is was weak you would have accepted the easy answer. I think weakness is the inability to seek the truth. I think it was God urging you to speak your heart with those people in church. One of these days you will see your own strength/beauty/knowledge and feel confident in each and every thought that comes to your mind. I'm not saying you will always be right, but trusting your voice to be heard by others knowing that any judgment they make about you is unimportant to how you choice to live your life. I hope this makes sense LOL I am using my iPhone so I can't reread what I have typed. Stay strong and true to yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you girl, so much! And you are right of course. If God allowed his own son to suffer death on a cross for sins that were not his own, how should we expect to pass through this life without pain? We live in a broken world, and we are not unscathed by it. But lately, God has really been impressing on my heart that "better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere...". I'd rather be with God, where He wants me to be, even if it's painful, than anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete